- 1 large chicken (2.5kg)
- 2 x 40g French onion soup mix
- Salt and pepper
- 2 mangoes, diced
- 1 tbsp rice bran oil
- 6 potatoes
- 6 pieces corn
- 6 pieces pumpkin
- 6 pieces sweet potato
- 6 medium onions
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 3 litres water
- Preheat a 15” camp oven.
- Add oil to oven. Place chicken in oven and brown sides.
- Mix French onion soup in three litres of water and add to camp oven.
- Place lid on oven and slowly simmer for 40 minutes.
- Add potatoes, onions and mango and cook for 30 minutes with lid on.
- Add remaining vegetables and simmer for a further 30 minutes.
- Add two tablespoons of water to cornflour and mix until combined. Remove lid and stir in cornflour. Simmer until liquid starts to thicken.
- Remove oven from fire and serve.
Don’t skin the vegetables. When you cook in a camp oven the skin holds the vegetables together and retains the goodness. Cook this dish on a slow simmer by using a small bed of coals. If you require more heat, add small pieces of kindling a few at a time as needed.