Ever wondered how to make the perfect goat stew? This recipe by Melissa Frohloff will have you enjoying the hearty winter warmer in no time.
- 100g butter
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 large brown onions, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1.5kg goat meat, cubed
- 1 cup plain flour
- 2 x 400g cans whole tomatoes
- 1 bulb Australian garlic, crushed
- 1 tbs salt
- 1 cup red wine (Shiraz)
- Zest of quarter lemon
- 200g Kalamata olives, sliced
- 3 cups water
- 2 tbs fresh rosemary, Thai basil, oregano and parsley, chopped
- Heat a third of the butter in the camp oven.
- Cook carrots, onion, and celery until onions are lightly browned and then remove from oven.
- Heat remaining butter in the camp oven.
- Coat the goat meat with flour, add to camp oven, lightly brown and remove.
- Return carrots, onion and celery to camp oven and spread evenly on the bottom.
- Place meat on top.
- Add canned tomatoes, garlic, salt, wine, lemon zest, Kalamata olives and their liquid, and water.
- Cook slowly (low temperature) for two hours, then add herbs and lightly stir.
- Cook for a further four hours.