This seafood mornay pot pie recipe one of those old-time favourites that was shared with me from an old friend. Food is about bringing people together and keeping treasured recipes and memories alive.
- 250g green prawns
- 250g sea scallops
- 250g marinara mix
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 1/2 tsp chicken stock powder
- 1 cup milk
- 300ml thickened cream
- 1 1/2tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup shallots
- 1/2 cup garlic chives
- Salt and pepper
- 250g grated cheese
- Puff pastry
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1 tbsp raw sugar
- Cut sea scallops and prawns in half.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large pan over medium heat. Fry prawns and scallops until they change colour. Remove prawns and scallops from pan.
- Add marinara mix and lightly fry. Remove marinara mix and juices from pan and set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter to pan and lightly fry garlic chives, garlic and shallots until aromatic. Remove from pan.
- Melt remaining butter on low heat and stir in flour until butter and flour is combined. Remove from heat.
- Add chicken stock to warm water. Once dissolved, add to flour and butter mix. Whisk to remove lumps.
- Return to a low heat. Add milk to mix and stir to a smooth consistency. Add cream and sugar – this will be the base to the mornay sauce.
- Add seafood, shallots, garlic and chives to mornay sauce and stir consistently over low heat until seafood mornay starts to simmer.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide the cheese evenly and place on the bottom of four pie pots, add seafood mornay filling.
- Cut a square piece of puff pastry and place on top of the pie dishes.
- Lightly coat the puff pastry with egg wash.
- Bake in moderate oven until pastry is golden.
Prep time: 15 min | Cook time: 45 min | Serves 4