Corned beef fritters are the perfect thing to fill up on before heading out for a day in the bush or on the boat. Check out this recipe by Melissa Frohloff.
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 cup milk
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups corned beef
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 large onion
- 270g tin Golden Circle corn
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp mixed herbs
- Rice bran spray oil
- Chop corned beef into small pieces.
- Dice onion.
- Drain corn and remove peas from freezer.
- In a mixing bowl, make the batter. Add flour, eggs, milk, salt, herbs and spices and mix well with a wooden spoon until combined.
- Add corned beef, onion, peas and corn to batter mix and stir thoroughly.
- Place camp oven on Ozpig (or similar) over a medium heat. Spray the base of the camp oven with rice bran oil to avoid fritters sticking to the pot.
- Once the oven is hot, drop a rounded tablespoon of fritter mixture into the camp oven, allowing it to spread. Repeat to make four fritters.
- When the beef fritters become golden brown underneath and bubbles appear on the surface, flip to the other side and cook.
- Spray the base of the oven between batches.
Tip: This recipe is quick and easy and serves well as finger food when out camping.
It is also a great way to use any leftover meat or vegetables, which add extra flavours to a batch of fritters.