Ever wanted that perfect recipe for tender braised lamb shanks? Well here it is, as cooked by BNB’s Melissa Frohloff.
- 4 lamb shanks
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 x 400g tins whole peeled tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 4 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 eggplant, peeled and diced
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 1 cup red wine (Shiraz)
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp garlic
- 3 bay leaves
- 6 sprigs rosemary, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- Preheat oven to 120C.
- Put olive oil in heat-resistant casserole dish over medium heat, cook shanks until brown, remove and transfer to a plate.
- Add shallots, garlic and rosemary and cook over medium heat for five minutes.
- Return lamb shanks to casserole dish.
- Stir in tomatoes, eggplant, wine, water and bay leaves, and bring to boil.
- Cover and cook in preheated oven for three hours, basting shanks with barbecue sauce every hour.
- Garnish with extra rosemary sprigs to serve.