Here’s a simple recipe for creating a tasty smoked trout tostada with the easy to use Muurikka Electric Smoker.
- 2 rainbow trout, cleaned
- 2 cups smoking chips
- 20 tostadas or lightly salted tortilla chips
- ½ cup of julienned spring onion
- ½ cup of julienned firm mango
- ½ cup of thinly sliced sweet eshallot
- 6 small red chillies, seeds removed
- 6 small green chillies, seeds removed
- ½ cup julienned red radish
- 100g tomato
- 500g tomatillo or green tomato
- 100g white onion
- 60g hulled pumpkin seed
- 60g sesame seeds
- 3 whole allspice
- 2 pequin chillies
- salt to taste
- Smoke the trout for 25-30 minutes without removing the lid. Remove when cooked and let cool.
- When cooled remove skin from trout, then gently remove the flesh in large pieces and put aside.
- To make the salsa pepian, place tomato, tomatillo and onion in a small pot, cover with water, bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer until all ingredients have softened before blending.
- Toast the pumpkin seeds in a frying pan over medium heat, stirring frequently until golden and puffed up. Add to blender ingredients.
- In the same pan, toast the sesame seeds. When nearly golden, add allspice and pequin chilli.
- Add to blender, then add salt and blend for two minutes until very smooth.
- Line up the tostadas on a tray and top each piece with a smear of salsa pepian. Place a small portion of smoked trout on tostadas, then garnish with the julienned vegetables.
Garnish with fresh dill and serve immediately.