This Shepherds Pie recipe is an all-time family favourite with a little herb spin. With a fluffy potato top and succulent meat middle it’s great on its own for dinner or lunch.
- 1kg beef mince
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 100g green beans
- 1/4 tsp fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp sage, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp kecap manis
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1 pinch salt and pepper to taste
- 750g potatoes
- 60g butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 pinch salt to taste
- Place mince in pan, cook over high heat, stirring until meat is brown.
- Pour off excess fat, add onion, carrot and beans. Cook onion until transparent.
- Add herbs, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, kecap manis, stock, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Reduce heat to simmer. Stir in flour until mixture thickens.
- Place mince in oven-proof dish.
- For the topping, boil potatoes until tender, then drain and mash.
- Add butter and milk to potatoes and beat until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread potato evenly over meat and bake on 180C for 45 minutes or until potato turns golden brown.